in Beverly Hills
Lymphatic malformations, also referred to as lymphangiomas, are abnormal collection of lymphatic fluid within cysts or channels, usually in the soft tissue. It can occur everywhere in the body, except for the brain. Most patients develop lymphatic malformations with a combination of large and small cysts. At Allure Aesthetic Surgery of Beverly Hills, our highly-experienced face plastic surgeon and board-certified head and neck surgeon, Dr. David Shamouelian, specializes in the treatment of head and neck lymphatic malformations.
Causes of Lymphatic Malformations
Lymphatic malformations occur when the lymph vessels that make up the lymphatic system are not formed properly, resulting in the defective transport of lymph and an abnormal collection of lymphatic fluid. This condition can manifest early in life, although they can also occur in young people or adults. Lymphatic malformations can be progressive and expand more rapidly with advancing age. Growing cysts may cause serious upper respiratory infections or ear infections may also impair breathing or swallowing, depending on their location. In some patients, especially with older ones, lymphatic malformations tend to expand much slower.
Treatment Options for Lymphatic Malformations
Some children with minor cases of lymphatic malformation may not require treatment. In most cases, we recommend treatment of lymphatic malformations in children very early in life to avoid or reduce skeletal deformities. here are a few treatment options to choose from. The type of treatment suitable for the patient will be determined after initial consultation and thorough examination. Below are some of the treatment options we offer at Allure Aesthetic Surgery of Beverly Hills:
Benefits of Septoplasty
It is normal for patients to feel a little pain and discomfort
following a septoplasty, these usually fade away on their own
within a day or two. Other possible risks include the
- Sclerotherapy – This treatment is ideal for treating Macrocystic LMs. It involves injecting an irritating agent into the malformation to shrink the affected lymphatic channels.
- Surgical Excision– This is often used for Microcysts LMs and can also be combined with another treatment method.
- Laser Therapy – This is typically performed to treat skin blemishes associated with Macrocystic LMs. It can also be used to treat leaking and bleeding lymphatic blebs.
Venous malformation treatment are generally used to remove and close enlarged venous spaces and minimizing symptoms.
- Prevents swelling
- Helps prevent further growth of venous malformation
- Prevents further trauma or infection
- Avoids serious symptoms and complications
- Reduces the risk and formation of blood clots
Treatment Risks and Complications
Aside from the possible risks associated with any medical procedure and surgery, here are some of the possible complications associated with venous malformation treatments:
- Reappearance and further malformation enlargement
- Internal bleeding
- Abnormal scarring
- Skin pigmentation
- Structure damage near the affected site
The cost of venous malformation treatment varies depending on the severity of the patient’s condition and the type of treatment that will be conducted. The cost estimate will be determined during your initial consultation at Allure Aesthetic Surgery of Beverly Hills. For more information about venous malformation or if you want to schedule an appointment, contact Allure Aesthetic Surgery of Beverly Hills at (888) 265-2335.